Any currrent raw batch converter like old Bibble(v4) or CaptureOne?
me
2014-03-13 23:24:41 UTC
To date I've used RawShooterEssentials, PSCS2, CatpureNX, PSE6&11,
Bibble4&5, AfterShotPro to convert raw files from my Nikon
D70/200/300. I initially found RawShooter's work flow to suit me. When
I got a newer unsupported camera I demoed CaptureOne and Bibble4.
Bibble won due to a bug in CaptureOne sending deleted files to the
Recycle bin overriding every system setting to not use the Recycle bin
in XP64, as the work flows were nearly identical.

Then everyone added cataloging capability to their batch converters. I
got free upgrade to Bibble5 , but went back the v4. When Corel bought
out BibbleLabs, I grabbed a copy of that for $20. Still went back to
B4. I don't need or want cataloging and any additional steps/issues
associated with it's inclusion.

I want a program which stays in single image mode after selecting
multiple files, but allows changes to all selected files as well.
Making changes to one file of a group of similar shots and then
copying/pasting creates additional work. Made even more so by some
programs desire to automatically switch to multi-image preview when
multiple files are selected (current CaptureOne).

I also don't want to have to import images into some database I have
no use for.

I'm thinking I'm stuck, unless someone has a suggestion I'm not aware
of. Any ideas?
Savageduck
2014-03-14 00:31:09 UTC
--
Savageduck
It sounds like you need to try Lightroom. Regardless of your feelings
features is its batch processing and syncing capability.
Savageduck
Savageduck
me
2014-03-14 09:15:45 UTC
On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 00:36:48 GMT, Savageduck
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
[...]
Have to say I had already given the demo a quick try before posting
and recoiled in horror at my initial experience.

Not sure what you mean by synching, but me first inkling is I'm not
interested in this "feature."
Savageduck
2014-03-14 11:24:36 UTC
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
[...]
Why? What were you trying to do?
Post by me
Not sure what you mean by synching, but me first inkling is I'm not
interested in this "feature."
In Lightroom's Develop Module, if you have a batch of image files
needing similar adjustments or batch processing, select one file from
the batch to adjust. Make the adjustments, set lens & camera profiles,
etc. Then select the rest of the images in the batch. On the bottom
right of the develop module the "Sync" button becomes active, click
that. A sync dialog window will open, in that window you check which
of the adjustment criteria you want to sync across the batch, then
click on "Synchronize". Each of the selected files in the batch is then
synchronized with the adjustments you made in the first one. Batch
processing if you will.
Regards,

Savageduck
me
2014-03-15 11:37:33 UTC
On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 04:24:36 -0700, Savageduck
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
Have to say I had already given the demo a quick try before posting
and recoiled in horror at my initial experience.
Why? What were you trying to do?
First bad thing is the filmstrip layout can not be moved. For me it is
stuck in the worse place possible, the bottom, due to vision issues.
Also it appears you can't set it to use the mouse wheel to scroll
through the strip images.
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
Not sure what you mean by synching, but me first inkling is I'm not
interested in this "feature."
In Lightroom's Develop Module, if you have a batch of image files
needing similar adjustments or batch processing, select one file from
the batch to adjust. Make the adjustments, set lens & camera profiles,
etc. Then select the rest of the images in the batch. On the bottom
right of the develop module the "Sync" button becomes active, click
that. A sync dialog window will open, in that window you check which
of the adjustment criteria you want to sync across the batch, then
click on "Synchronize". Each of the selected files in the batch is then
synchronized with the adjustments you made in the first one. Batch
processing if you will.
< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_619.jpg >
OK thanks, I stand corrected. I'd seen synching mentioned in regard to
the catalog in some of the on-line guide material.

But this gets me to the crux of my query. I'm not saying
Aftershot/CaputeOne7/ LR5 can't do this. It is the fact it takes
additional steps to do it compared to Bibble4. In B4 if you selected
multiple files only the first is shown in the adjustments preview, but
all the files selected were adjusted. No need to copy/paste
adjustments or synch in additional step(s). I just am having a hard
time adding what to me seems like additional unnecessary steps to my
work flow.

Controls seem to take more time to use. In B5 clicking on the
adjustment slider bars took 0.5 (not 0.1) steps, while the mouse wheel
allows 0.1 adjustments, and also had direct numerical input boxes and
re-zero boxes.
Savageduck
2014-03-15 16:27:55 UTC
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
Have to say I had already given the demo a quick try before posting
and recoiled in horror at my initial experience.
Why? What were you trying to do?
First bad thing is the filmstrip layout can not be moved. For me it is
stuck in the worse place possible, the bottom, due to vision issues.
Well, that might be a bad thing for you personally due to your
particular vision issues.
Post by me
Also it appears you can't set it to use the mouse wheel to scroll
through the strip images.
How so? I use the scroll wheel to navigate left and right along the
filmstrip all the time. You have to place the cursor below the main
window and in the filmstrip, then is scrolls in either direction.

If you are in the Library Mode using the grid view it will scroll up
and down, in the filmstrip left & right. just place the cursor in the
area you need scrolling active.
Post by me
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
[...]
In terms of syncing with regard to the catalog (Library Mode) that can
be done with items such as metadata and file naming, application of
keywords, etc.
Post by me
But this gets me to the crux of my query. I'm not saying
Aftershot/CaputeOne7/ LR5 can't do this. It is the fact it takes
additional steps to do it compared to Bibble4. In B4 if you selected
multiple files only the first is shown in the adjustments preview, but
all the files selected were adjusted. No need to copy/paste
adjustments or synch in additional step(s). I just am having a hard
time adding what to me seems like additional unnecessary steps to my
work flow.
Controls seem to take more time to use. In B5 clicking on the
adjustment slider bars took 0.5 (not 0.1) steps, while the mouse wheel
allows 0.1 adjustments, and also had direct numerical input boxes and
re-zero boxes.
As with most software, familiarity with the UI and having a practiced
workflow is the most efficient way to do things. When you have a
multi-featured, complex piece of software there is always a learning
curve to climb, and that requires an investment in time and exercise.
For me that has been true for each edition of PS and LR and many of the
third party plugins, but the rewards for taking the time to learn (it
is an ongoing education) what I needed to, and to tweak my workflow
have been great.
--
Regards,

Savageduck
me
2014-03-16 11:33:40 UTC
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
Have to say I had already given the demo a quick try before posting
and recoiled in horror at my initial experience.
Why? What were you trying to do?
First bad thing is the filmstrip layout can not be moved. For me it is
stuck in the worse place possible, the bottom, due to vision issues.
Well, that might be a bad thing for you personally due to your
particular vision issues.
Filmstrip on the bottom requires me to constantly tilt my head to look
at instead of just my eyes due to fairly severe nearsightedness and
bifocals. Using just my eyes puts me in the near correction zone and
blurs the images some. Bibble and Aftershot allow one to move the
docked film strip either to the side or top. Most other programs seem
fixed at the bottom is the only position. DXO only allows docking at
the bottom, but also allows you to float it anywhere.
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
Also it appears you can't set it to use the mouse wheel to scroll
through the strip images.
How so? I use the scroll wheel to navigate left and right along the
filmstrip all the time. You have to place the cursor below the main
window and in the filmstrip, then is scrolls in either direction.
t appears to only scroll the strip itself, not the selected image in
the strip.Agian, appears only a Bibble 4 feature.

This was a key feature to me in quickly going through a given set of
photos and deleting the non-keepers. Right hand on mouse, left on
delete key quickly scrolling through previews and deleting as
warranted.
Post by Savageduck
Post by me
Controls seem to take more time to use. In B5 clicking on the
adjustment slider bars took 0.5 (not 0.1) steps, while the mouse wheel
allows 0.1 adjustments, and also had direct numerical input boxes and
re-zero boxes.
As with most software, familiarity with the UI and having a practiced
workflow is the most efficient way to do things. When you have a
multi-featured, complex piece of software there is always a learning
curve to climb, and that requires an investment in time and exercise.
For me that has been true for each edition of PS and LR and many of the
third party plugins, but the rewards for taking the time to learn (it
is an ongoing education) what I needed to, and to tweak my workflow
have been great.
Somewhat agreed. Though it seems the folks that write software mainly
keep increasing features more than they actually focus on controls
requiring the fewest number of user inputs to accomplish a task.
M$Orifice appears to be a major offender here. Though I also recently
switched from PSE6 to 11 in a closed environment at work and the
interface change with the same scanner is absolutely horrendous. I can
find no way for a recently saved location to be remembered and the
blasted thing always goes back to MyPictures fir each new scan even in
a given session.

So far batch processing programs tried with the new D7100 I've tried:

Aftershotpro1.2
Captureone7.2
Lightroom5.5
Silkypix
DxOpro9

As I already have a license for Aftershopro from it being bought by
Bibble, candidates at this point have to have more pluses than minuses
cin comparison to it. Sar far DxO seems to be leading, though the
inability to set a fixed relative output folder is a real PIA.

I appreciate all your feedback.
andy
2014-03-14 14:06:43 UTC
Post by me
[...]
apparently Silkypix Developer Studio Pro is pretty much what you are
looking for.. Not used it myself yet, but I have had it recommended to
me and I am considering it...

regards
Andy
nospam
2014-03-14 15:16:45 UTC
Post by me
Post by Savageduck
It sounds like you need to try Lightroom. Regardless of your feelings
regarding catalogs/libraries/databases, one of Lightroom's most powerful
features is its batch processing and syncing capability.
Have to say I had already given the demo a quick try before posting
and recoiled in horror at my initial experience.
what didn't you like?

lightroom works a little differently than photoshop or other image
editor because it's also an asset manager, so its unfamiliarity might
be a little confusing at first. however, it's well worth learning
because the payoff down the line is incredibly huge.
Post by me
Not sure what you mean by synching, but me first inkling is I'm not
interested in this "feature."
adjusting multiple images in one step and it's *very* useful.

for instance, you can white balance one image and then apply that white
balance to an entire group. if they're all shot in the same conditions,
they're almost certainly going to have the same white balance. the
syncing is just a one-time push, not something that is continually
maintained, so you can still tweak them further if needed.

just about any adjustment can be synced. it's a huge productivity
boost. it's possible to do it in photoshop but not as easily.
me
2014-03-16 11:40:40 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by me
Post by Savageduck
It sounds like you need to try Lightroom. Regardless of your feelings
regarding catalogs/libraries/databases, one of Lightroom's most powerful
features is its batch processing and syncing capability.
Have to say I had already given the demo a quick try before posting
and recoiled in horror at my initial experience.
what didn't you like?
See my replies t the Duck.
Post by nospam
lightroom works a little differently than photoshop or other image
editor because it's also an asset manager, so its unfamiliarity might
be a little confusing at first. however, it's well worth learning
because the payoff down the line is incredibly huge.
I have no desire or need for asset management, so if that is where
your implied payoff is , it doesn't exist for me.
Post by nospam
just about any adjustment can be synced. it's a huge productivity
boost. it's possible to do it in photoshop but not as easily.
As I have said while I have PSCS2 and PSE11 I know they and current
versions are not what I'm looking for. The quick/clean work flow that
was possible in Rawshooter/Bibble4 without additional steps/complexity
attributed to asset management is what I'm looking for. It might not
be possible any longer, but that is my real wish.
George Anthony
2014-03-16 16:06:54 UTC
Post by me
Post by nospam
Post by nospam
just about any adjustment can be synced. it's a huge productivity
boost. it's possible to do it in photoshop but not as easily.
As I have said while I have PSCS2 and PSE11 I know they and current
versions are not what I'm looking for. The quick/clean work flow that
was possible in Rawshooter/Bibble4 without additional steps/complexity
attributed to asset management is what I'm looking for. It might not
be possible any longer, but that is my real wish.
Canon's (free with camera purchase) software will do batch processing. Is
this not possible with Nikon's software?
me
2014-03-16 17:57:45 UTC
Do it, yes. do it quickly and efficiently, no.
nospam
2014-03-16 16:26:59 UTC
Post by me
Post by nospam
Post by nospam
lightroom works a little differently than photoshop or other image
editor because it's also an asset manager, so its unfamiliarity might
be a little confusing at first. however, it's well worth learning
because the payoff down the line is incredibly huge.
I have no desire or need for asset management, so if that is where
your implied payoff is , it doesn't exist for me.
how do you manage your photos now?

if you say finder or explorer, you are making more work for yourself,
something you say you want to avoid.
Post by me
Post by nospam
just about any adjustment can be synced. it's a huge productivity
boost. it's possible to do it in photoshop but not as easily.
As I have said while I have PSCS2 and PSE11 I know they and current
versions are not what I'm looking for. The quick/clean work flow that
was possible in Rawshooter/Bibble4 without additional steps/complexity
attributed to asset management is what I'm looking for. It might not
be possible any longer, but that is my real wish.
combining asset management and image editing simplifies the workflow by
a huge amount. it's one app to do it all rather than multiple apps.

and lightroom can be quick and clean too.
me
2014-03-16 18:12:45 UTC
Post by nospam
how do you manage your photos now?
if you say finder or explorer, you are making more work for yourself,
something you say you want to avoid.
combining asset management and image editing simplifies the workflow by
a huge amount. it's one app to do it all rather than multiple apps.
Not possible in some of the environments I work it. So stop pushing a
solution which doesn't work or even make sense for my use.
nospam
2014-03-16 18:41:10 UTC
Post by me
Post by nospam
how do you manage your photos now?
if you say finder or explorer, you are making more work for yourself,
something you say you want to avoid.
combining asset management and image editing simplifies the workflow by
a huge amount. it's one app to do it all rather than multiple apps.
Not possible in some of the environments I work it. So stop pushing a
solution which doesn't work or even make sense for my use.
i'm not pushing anything.

however, your reasons are flawed. combining asset management and image
editing *does* simplify things and also offers features not possible
any other way.

but you're welcome to ignore all the advancements and do it the hard
way.
me
2014-03-16 20:29:01 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by me
Post by nospam
how do you manage your photos now?
if you say finder or explorer, you are making more work for yourself,
something you say you want to avoid.
combining asset management and image editing simplifies the workflow by
a huge amount. it's one app to do it all rather than multiple apps.
Not possible in some of the environments I work it. So stop pushing a
solution which doesn't work or even make sense for my use.
i'm not pushing anything.
Sure you are. You are pushing a work flow that may not be possible.
There may be instances where one's computational environment is not
under their complete control, and may also have additional
restrictions imposed upon it which are non-negoiable.
Post by nospam
however, your reasons are flawed. combining asset management and image
editing *does* simplify things and also offers features not possible
any other way.
but you're welcome to ignore all the advancements and do it the hard
way.
Sorry, it is your assumptions which are flawed. In one instance all
photos (raw and processed) from any given session reside only on their
own unique removable storage media by edict.

One can not hear, if they do not wish to listen.
nospam
2014-03-16 20:35:36 UTC
Post by me
Post by nospam
Post by me
Post by nospam
combining asset management and image editing simplifies the workflow by
a huge amount. it's one app to do it all rather than multiple apps.
Not possible in some of the environments I work it. So stop pushing a
solution which doesn't work or even make sense for my use.
i'm not pushing anything.
Sure you are. You are pushing a work flow that may not be possible.
it's very possible.
Post by me
There may be instances where one's computational environment is not
under their complete control, and may also have additional
restrictions imposed upon it which are non-negoiable.
if you are forbidden from installing apps why are you asking for
alternatives? use what you have and see if those that administer it
have any suggestions.
Post by me
Post by nospam
however, your reasons are flawed. combining asset management and image
editing *does* simplify things and also offers features not possible
any other way.
but you're welcome to ignore all the advancements and do it the hard
way.
Sorry, it is your assumptions which are flawed. In one instance all
photos (raw and processed) from any given session reside only on their
own unique removable storage media by edict.
that's not a problem.
i can see that. your mind is made up and nothing will change it.
Trevor
2014-03-18 08:53:07 UTC
Post by me
One can not hear, if they do not wish to listen.
Silly saying. You mean you are never annoyed by loud background noises if
you simply choose not to listen? Most people are unfortunately.

Trevor.