British BBC4 series: The Genius of Photography
RichA
2007-11-13 15:32:37 UTC
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Bruce
2007-11-14 10:07:57 UTC
Do you also get the follow up programs about individual photographers
Lautrec etc. It suprises me that now that digital compacts have made
photography even more popular that the TV people haven't really picked up on
it. Programs on Landscape, portrait etc could provide a good series for
everyone.

Bruce Liverpool UK)
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
David J Taylor
2007-11-14 11:04:51 UTC
Post by Bruce
Do you also get the follow up programs about individual photographers
Lautrec etc. It suprises me that now that digital compacts have made
photography even more popular that the TV people haven't really
picked up on it. Programs on Landscape, portrait etc could provide a
good series for everyone.
Bruce Liverpool UK)
We also got a series where "serious" film photographers were challenged to
use digital cameras (ranging from mobile phone to top-of-the range) to see
what images they could produce. I forget the series name now. Did you
see that, and I wonder if it also made it outside the UK?

David
Bruce
2007-11-14 11:17:10 UTC
Hi David

I think it was A Digital Picture of Britain (see link)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/article_print.asp?date=0506&article=05063002digital_picbritain

Bruce (Liverpool UK)
David J Taylor
2007-11-14 14:05:34 UTC
Post by Bruce
Hi David
I think it was A Digital Picture of Britain (see link)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/article_print.asp?date=0506&article=05063002digital_picbritain
Bruce (Liverpool UK)
Yes, that was the one. Quite enjoyed that.

Cheers,
David
Mark B.
2007-11-15 03:12:07 UTC
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Not now that his show has been pulled. Never saw it, but I don't feel like
I missed anything. Here's hoping BBC America airs the Photography series.

Mark
David J Taylor
2007-11-15 08:15:50 UTC
Post by Mark B.
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Not now that his show has been pulled. Never saw it, but I don't
feel like I missed anything. Here's hoping BBC America airs the
Photography series.
Mark
Why not write and ask for it?

David
Bruce Uttley
2007-11-15 13:47:46 UTC
Post by David J Taylor
Why not write and ask for it?
David
The book "The Genius of Photography" by Gerry Badger that accompanies
the TV series was published in September. It can be ordered at
amazon.co.uk and elsewhere.
Mark B.
2007-11-16 00:32:19 UTC
Post by David J Taylor
Post by Mark B.
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Not now that his show has been pulled. Never saw it, but I don't
feel like I missed anything. Here's hoping BBC America airs the
Photography series.
Mark
Why not write and ask for it?
David
Yes, I may do that. My hopes aren't too high since the shows they're
promoting on their site at the moment are, among others, 'Hotel Babylon' and
'My 100,000 Lovers'.

Mark
unknown
2007-11-15 19:05:25 UTC
Post by Mark B.
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Not now that his show has been pulled. Never saw it, but I don't
feel like I missed anything. Here's hoping BBC America airs the
Photography series.
Mark
I watched some of the first episode and found it rather pretentious. And got
bound up in the "is photography 'art'" debate. It may be of interest the
first time you hear of it but quickly becomes sterile and pointless. Rather
like debates about the worthiness of all sorts of "art", really! ;-)

IMHO, YMMV, of course...

Mike.
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.
Troglodyte
2007-11-15 14:33:07 UTC
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Haha...so true, but they did at least give us that bastion of good
cuisine, McDonald's.
RichA
They're changing the name to "Transfat City."
Charlie Self
2007-11-17 22:21:27 UTC
Post by RichA
Post by Troglodyte
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Haha...so true, but they did at least give us that bastion of good
cuisine, McDonald's.
They're changing the name to "Transfat City."
Actually, they are changing the name to, "You Got A Choice." Either
turn the dial or flick it off, and, with the burger joints, eat at
home or at another restaurant.

By the way, what cuisine, or TV for that matter, has Canada given the
world?
RichA
2007-11-18 04:41:52 UTC
Post by Charlie Self
Post by RichA
Post by Troglodyte
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Haha...so true, but they did at least give us that bastion of good
cuisine, McDonald's.
They're changing the name to "Transfat City."
Actually, they are changing the name to, "You Got A Choice." Either
turn the dial or flick it off, and, with the burger joints, eat at
home or at another restaurant.
Just 'cause you force you kids or grandkids to eat there, (because you
are likely a cheap bastard who believes children don't have good
enough taste to eat decent food)
don't get too bent out of shape when Ronald's house of Heart Attacks
is criticized.
John Adams
2007-11-20 11:03:16 UTC
Post by RichA
Just 'cause you force you kids or grandkids to eat there, (because you
are likely a cheap bastard who believes children don't have good
enough taste to eat decent food)
don't get too bent out of shape when Ronald's house of Heart Attacks
is criticized.
Yea, in countries where trans fats are banned McDonald's has no problems
serving them heavily salted fries cooked in non-hydrogenated oils but
they claim they can't do the same for people in the U.S. due to issues
that they are vague about. Of course this is BS and the only reason they
don't care if they kill people in the U.S. with trans fats is because it
affects their profit margin.
RichA
2007-11-22 15:24:03 UTC
Post by John Adams
Post by RichA
Just 'cause you force you kids or grandkids to eat there, (because you
are likely a cheap bastard who believes children don't have good
enough taste to eat decent food)
don't get too bent out of shape when Ronald's house of Heart Attacks
is criticized.
Yea, in countries where trans fats are banned McDonald's has no problems
serving them heavily salted fries cooked in non-hydrogenated oils but
they claim they can't do the same for people in the U.S. due to issues
that they are vague about. Of course this is BS and the only reason they
don't care if they kill people in the U.S. with trans fats is because it
affects their profit margin.
True. Their huge advertising to Black inner city people (despite the
near double incidence of heart problems in that community) proves that
completely.
So, they invent "Ronald McDonald House" as a hospice for all the
cancer patients, some of whom no doubt put their because of eating
McDonald's food.
Charlie Self
2007-11-23 13:29:18 UTC
Post by RichA
Post by Charlie Self
Post by RichA
Post by Troglodyte
Post by RichA
Amazing. We get this outstanding stuff from the Brits and what do we
get from the Americans?
"Dog, the Bounty Hunter."
Haha...so true, but they did at least give us that bastion of good
cuisine, McDonald's.
They're changing the name to "Transfat City."
Actually, they are changing the name to, "You Got A Choice." Either
turn the dial or flick it off, and, with the burger joints, eat at
home or at another restaurant.
Just 'cause you force you kids or grandkids to eat there, (because you
are likely a cheap bastard who believes children don't have good
enough taste to eat decent food)
don't get too bent out of shape when Ronald's house of Heart Attacks
is criticized.
I'm not sure how responsive that is to my statement, but, hey, we all
know RichA.

I won't. I think I ate in one of those places about 15 years ago, when
the youngest kid was working at the local one. This town, by the way,
is the only place I've ever heard of where a McDonald's went broke. A
long time ago--25 years?--but kind of a nice thought.

John Adams
2007-11-20 10:58:42 UTC
Post by Charlie Self
By the way, what cuisine, or TV for that matter, has Canada given the
world?
Um, Tim Horton's Donuts, Maple Syrup, Hockey Night in Canada, and Anne
of Green Gables.
HankB
2007-11-21 15:34:55 UTC
Post by John Adams
Post by Charlie Self
By the way, what cuisine, or TV for that matter, has Canada given the
world?
Um, Tim Horton's Donuts, Maple Syrup, Hockey Night in Canada, and Anne
of Green Gables.
Not only that, I've heard that the carbon footprint of the average
Canadian citizen is higher than that of the average US citizen. They
have a lot of coal. I think they're filling the earth's atmosphere
with CO2 to promote global warming. They will turn vast stretches of
frozen tundra into arable land (and probably vast stretches of arable
US land into desert.)

BTW, the TV series has been running on Bravo in the US for the last
two nights.

-hank
John McWilliams
2007-11-22 04:09:38 UTC
Post by John Adams
Post by Charlie Self
By the way, what cuisine, or TV for that matter, has Canada given the
world?
Um, Tim Horton's Donuts, Maple Syrup, Hockey Night in Canada, and Anne
of Green Gables.
We had Maple syrup in Vermont well before the first Canadian was mounted.
John McWilliams
RichA
They also spawned Howard Dean.
John Adams
2007-11-22 19:35:13 UTC
Post by John McWilliams
We had Maple syrup in Vermont well before the first Canadian was mounted.
Says nothing about that on Wikipedia so I think you are FOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup

Canada makes more than 80 percent of the world's maple syrup, producing
about 7 million US gallons in 2005. The vast majority of this comes from
Quebec: the province is by far the world's largest producer, with about
75 percent of the world production (6.515 million US gallons in
2005).[1] The provinces of Ontario, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick
produce smaller amounts.

Vermont is the biggest U.S. producer, with 410,000 US gallons in 2005,
followed by Maine, New York, Ohio, and then a half-dozen other states
with smaller industries.

I buy the cheaper imitation stuff anyway because it tastes the same to me.
John McWilliams
2007-11-23 02:08:16 UTC
Post by John Adams
Post by John McWilliams
We had Maple syrup in Vermont well before the first Canadian was mounted.
Says nothing about that on Wikipedia so I think you are FOS.
You "misread" the first sentence; in any event, Wiki is not the final
say by a long shot.
Post by John Adams
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup
Canada makes more than 80 percent of th
<< Snipped bits out >>

It originated in Vermont, before Canada was a sovereign nation.
Way before. Nothing to do with where the bulk of production now resides.

-
lsmft
Charlie Self
2007-11-23 13:27:48 UTC
Post by John Adams
Post by Charlie Self
By the way, what cuisine, or TV for that matter, has Canada given the
world?
Um, Tim Horton's Donuts, Maple Syrup, Hockey Night in Canada, and Anne
of Green Gables.
Tim Horton's Donuts--lessee, Wendy's just sold them didn't they? I
like their donuts, but, face it, the donut is not exactly a Canadian
invention. Maple syrup? Get real. Hockey? My interest died when I was
in college, trying to listen to a game at RPI, with the idiotic
announcer constantly dribbling on about "That's heads up hockey!" Anne
of Green Gables? You win that one. I figure it's a TV program. Is it?